Racing at SYC
Excitement, competition, speed, power, strategy, tactics, precision boat handling. That is sailboat racing. And that is racing at the Sausalito Yacht Club. The SYC offers this off the scenic Marin Headlands adjacent to the iconic Golden Gate Bridge.
The races are run professionally with an on-the-water race committee that is second to none. The club atmosphere provides a great location for after race bragging or complaining. The bar and galley are open after all the races.
(Click here to see the full schedule along with links for Notice of Race and Sailing Instructions)
The club-sponsored or supported races in 2013 include:
Twin Island Series: three races around Alcatraz and Angel Island on April 27, July 20 and October 19. (You choose your direction around the islands…) (Click here to enter on line)
- Sunset Series: Ten Spring and Summer races on alternate Tuesday nights to set aside work pressures for mid-week competition capped off with the bar and a cookout. The Spring Series starts April 30 and the Summer Series starts July 23. The Champion of Champions race is on October 19. (Click here to enter on line)
- Master Mariners Annual Regatta: The Sausalito Yacht Club continues it’s long tradition of supporting this spectacular event May 25th (Memorial Day Weekend) supplying Mercury and the Race Committee to officiate. Approximately 70 wooden vessels of traditional design and construction from 19 to 122ft will participate – most built before 1950. This years race will begin at the City Front near the St Francis Yacht Club around 1200 and finish off the east end of Treasure Island around 1500
- Rear Commodore’s Race: a 20 mile race / cruise to Vallejo Yacht Club on June 22. This is usually a great downwind race with an excellent party and dinner afterward.
- U.S. Multihull Championship US Sailing has announced that the 2013 U.S. Multihull Championship for the Hobie Alter Trophy will be sailed on Hobie 16s and hosted by the Sausalito Yacht Club in Sausalito, Calif. on September 3-8. San Francisco Bay will be bustling with enthusiasm for multihull sailing this September as some of the top sailors in the world will be competing in the area. This year’s U.S. Multihull Championship coincides with the Red Bull Youth America’s Cup racing series in San Francisco (Sept. 1-4) on the AC45 catamarans, as well as the beginning of the America’s Cup final series sailed on AC72 catamarans, beginning September 7.
- Midwinters Series: five races on the first Sunday of the month from November through March.
- Jaws Race (New for 2013): Start and finish off the club deck. A pursuit race for sailors; a predicted log race for powered boats. (March 24 in 2014). A race for SYC members for the “Jaws” trophy.Watch for the Notice of Races on this web site. Sign up, get competitive, improve your skills and have fun on the water and back at the club. You’ll love our welcoming atmosphere at the SYC club house. We look forward to seeing you out on the water and at the club.